[VHFcontesting] One "Idiot's" Reply - The Real WTX Story

N6MU1 at aol.com N6MU1 at aol.com
Tue Oct 26 10:51:07 EDT 2004

I don't know what prompted K3UHF's continued diatribe about our rover
excursion to WTX for the September contest, especially since our "giant" scores are
100K LESS than the top east coast rover score, but I would like to respond to
some of his comments.

WTX consists mainly of sparsely populated, wide open spaces. There was only
one active WTX fixed station (W5LCC) who put in a major effort in the unlimited
multioperator category and barely scored 5K points. Why? Lack of activity!
And, yes, I worked W5LCC on multiple bands from multiple grids.

Many hours were spent calling hundreds of CQs on six and two meters with NO
answers. Simply put, there is extremely limited activity in WTX. I worked a
total of six stations other than my fellow rovers because that's all there were
that I could hear. Had I been roving alone my score would have been
considerably less than a thousand points. I'm sorry, that's not competitive.

The only way midwest or west coast rovers can be competitive nationally is to
join forces. WTX is the best area of the country where multiple convergences
are readily available close to major highways. I don't understand the
objection to grid circling when there is literally no one else to work. Also, where I
go to operate is solely my choice.

This "idiot" is proud to be part of the group that raised the roving bar this
year. If you think designing and building multiple reliable and portable
ten-band rover stations including antennas isn't technically challenging, try it.
This is a hobby, folks, where each of us gets to choose how he/she
participates. I respect your right to disagree but please respect my right to participate
as I see fit. Isn't it interesting that, despite all the recent clamor and
furor,  the ARRL just posted the rules for 2005 and made NO rover changes. Flame
on if you must but you will not change my mind any more than I'll change
yours. 73...

John, N6MU