[VHFcontesting] The roving thing...

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Thu Oct 28 06:53:44 EDT 2004

Eric Smith wrote:

> And a thought crossed my mind... Since rovers are only in
> score competition with other rovers, why in heck are fixed
> and portable stations even remotely concerned about how a
> rover "gets points"?

Hi Eric,
First, thanks for changing the "stupid" subject.  That title alone
polarized the discussion unnecessarily.

The issue is not Fixed & Portable vs. Rovers.  There are also Rovers who
are concerned about how a rover's score is calculated (me being one of
them).  I can cite several examples, but that is beyond the scope of
this note.  I attempted to summarize the underlying issues below (each
one to a different paragraph).  As you can see, there are several...

Scoring is a mechanism of comparing one's Operator and Technical skill
to others...even between "entry categories".  Because scoring is a
constant for every category (except one), it is easy to determine
relative Operational and Technical skill advancement across all
categories (except one).

Those who take exception to the score enhancement that we Rover Category
participants enjoy, do so for several general reasons:

(1) [titled: Why not me, too?]  Others are excluded from enjoying
     any similar scoring mechanisms.

(2) [titled: violates the spirit of the event] They see the Rover
     scoring amomaly as running contrary to the intent of the
     contest, which is clearly spelled out in the rules:
     1. Object: To work as many amateur stations in as many different
        2 degrees x 1 degree grid squares as possible using authorized
        frequencies above 50 MHz. Foreign stations work W/VE amateurs
        only. -and-
     2.3.5.All Rovers are encouraged to adopt operating practices
           that allow as many stations as possible to contact them.

(3) [titled: Being on the outside, looking in] Any station
     (including other rovers) who are not in "the pack"
     are not likely to be found in pack rover logs because the
     emphasis for the pack is to "do the dance with a partner who is
     not going to delay the process".

One interesting observation:  A while ago, Trey was adament about the
issue of clamping down on "captive rovers" and was compelled to tell the
list that it was time to change that behavior.  This begs the question,
"Why are Rovers encouraged (by an anomaly in their scoring mechanism) to
operate as a captive pack, while Rovers who go out to help any other
single contest participant should be somehow disciplined?".

It is time to normalize the scoring scheme.  The only fair and simple
"fix" is to score rovers like everyone else, allowing our score to add
as we operate from additional grids.

Ev, W2EV (& KC2DMN/r)