[VHFcontesting] Re: [VHF contesting] A quasi-history of roving

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Thu Oct 28 19:00:20 EDT 2004

Jim Erickson wrote:

> The Rover Rules:
> I feel that the present rules are fine (both old origional and new).  Any
> major changes to the Rover rules to compensate for those "questionable"
> practices would punish the rest of us!

These "questionable practices" exist only because of a scoring anomaly
in the Rover category entries.  By normalizing scoring, they go away.
I'm curious though, in what way would a change in the Rover rules punish
the rest of us?

> Maybe make a new class
> called Multi Rover or Team Rovers?  You can specifically add grid circling
> and or captive roving to this category. Those who wish to pursue and even
> refine these techniques can do so in competition with each other. We will
> all benefit from any contacts they let us make with them.

Then this is no longer an Amateur Radio event...it is a Road Ralley.  It
deserves an entirely different contest.

Ev, W2EV