[VHFcontesting] Re: 902 vs 903

Lee Scott - AA1YN aa1yn at aa1yn.com
Thu Sep 2 18:53:25 EDT 2004

At 05:35 PM 9/2/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I agree, but we do a lot of multi-op in VHF contests and that drives us
>to separate stations.  I also, am not able to spend the money on new
>equipment, so I use whatever is at hand that works and all the IF radios
>added up doesn't come close to the cost of an FT-817.  Even the 2 meter
>allmodes are 15 years old or better (TR-751, TS-711, TS-700SP), I think
>I paid a max of $250 dollars for the 711 several years ago, and the only
>"new" style rig is a 706MKII that I take out of the mobile for multi-op
>VHF efforts.  Even my towers and antennas systems are very low dollar.
>I would venture to guess I have put together "fun" 6 meter through 1296
>station for less than $2500 counting one tower, feedline and antennas.
>
>Actually, I wish I had an arrangement where I could use one IF radio
>with 3 or 4 transverters for the mobile so I could play Rover and fit
>everything into my pickup.  Maybe you could pass on your methods for
>switching between several transverters without spending a lot of cash?
>
>Danny

Hi Danny,

I have a single FT817 which feeds a bias-tee to place the xmit key signal
on the IF line.  Each of the transverters "listen" for this key signal to
place them into transmit.  I remotely switch the IF line to the one
transverter I wish to use. All of my transverters are located on the tower.
It does unfortunately require a separate switch in the shack for selecting
which transverter I am activating.

Lee Scott - AA1YN
Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
Hooksett, NH