[VHFcontesting] Sports vs. Radiosports

Ev Tupis w2ev at arrl.net
Sat Sep 4 12:02:18 EDT 2004

>  > - ie. the VHF contester can be quite isolated
>  > by the nature of propagation.
>
> ...and by location, location, location, if there's nothing else but LOS
> propagation. Down here near Charleston, SC it gets really lonely during
> a VHF contest when there are no openings.

Yes, indeed.  It's like running a footrace, then reporting your results to a
magazine.  The winner is declared by non-realtime comparison.

Wouldn't it be interesting to expand on the WRTC 2002 system of real-time score
reporting (thanks to an ARRL staffer who pointed me to that link, btw)?

THAT would be AWESOME!

> But I agree with George, I have yet to encounter a fellow contester who
> would not share knowledge when asked.

Then let's look at expanding Cabrillo to include pertinent information so that
you don't HAVE to ask.  Here's where VHF is different than HF contesting.
Enhance Cabrillo to include the following on a band-by-band basis:

1. RF Output
2. Antenna Gain
3. Antenna Height (above ground)
4. Height Above Mean Sea Level (not of the antenna, but of the ground it is on)
5. Height AAT
6. Operator Experience (count the number of contests they've entered)

Make that information publicly available.  For that matter, make the logs
publicly available (GASP!).  Golfers score cards are available for scrutiny!
What's the big deal?

Uh-oh...this may be too much to digest for some.  Gotta go and mow the lawn.  Be
back later. :)

Ev, W2EV