[VHFcontesting] Sports vs. Radiosports

Duane Grotophorst n9dg at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 4 18:49:37 EDT 2004

Yepp, I'm with Dave on this one. I too find many of
W2EV's various idea postings to be both thought
provoking and interesting. I may even completely
disagree with some of those ideas (remember the idea
of using ERP vs. power for classification?). But still
they are ideas to ponder and do, (or should) stimulate
some thought and discussion throughout the VHF
contesting community. For instance I find that many of
his ideas to be formulated in the context of how VHF
contesting is done in higher population density areas,
as such they may not be appropriate on a nationwide
scale, ERP categories are a case in point, (in my
opinion). So it is up to the rest of us to point out
those kinds of issues or problems, even in a spirited
debate fashion if need be. Support or appose the
various ideas on their technical or practical merits,
not on just a simple old way vs. new way of thinking.
In the end everyone should always come away from these
discussions/debates with some new insights, not with
some sense of having been attacked or trampled on.

I think in nutshell the discussion this time boils
down to is how to design a VHF contest so that it
could be scored "real-time", such that all
participants will always know exactly how well all the
other participants are doing score-wise throughout the
contest. I actually like the idea of a VHF contest
being structured as such, it would add a new dimension
to how you need to strategize your efforts. From a
purely practical matter though it does dictate the use
of computers, so be it, but then we didn't even have
that as a viable option 10 or more years ago.
Practically speaking a "real-time" scored contest
wasn't really even possible before, perhaps now it is,
so we should at least consider it. The biggest
downside that I can see offhand would be that it will
pretty much exclude rovers or extreme remote sites
that can't easily get their logging information back
to the contest sponsor near real-time. I suspect
though that a once per hour log submission update
requirement would achieve the desired effect and still
be "close enough" to real-time.

And a good job to Ev for slipping in the idea of ERP
"class" categorization once again, - gotta admit he's
a persistent one ;).

Duane
N9DG