[VHFcontesting] Sports vs. Radiosports

w3sz w3sz at comcast.net
Sat Sep 4 21:12:25 EDT 2004

Hi, Guys [and Gals]!

I just got back home from a day of the mundane [but still enjoyable] side
of HR; making power cables, deciding where the computers will go, etc.,
and found this VERY interesting discussion.

Ev has the most incrediblly cool, 'out of the box' ideas.  I wish I was as
creative...

I never would have thought of a contest where one could go to a webpage
and see where one stood.

My kids do all sorts of realtime roleplaying games on the internet, and so
having a 'live' webpage that posted the scores realtime would certainly be
doable.

One could think further out of the box and think of other 'outlandish'
things like a random event generator that would trigger the webpage to
announce that for the next 30 minutes all contacts on 6 meters would be
triple score, or working W3IY/R on 50 thru 10G in the next hour would be
quadruple points, etc...you would actually have to be aware of what was
going on on the webpage, and modify your strategy and operating habits in
realtime to get the maximal score.  You could even have deductions;  make
10 contacts on 6 in the next hour or lose 25 QSO points... ;)

It wouldn't be contesting as we know it, but it would be a real kick!  And
if it got some notice outside our ranks, it might be the thing that
finally gets the Internet Generation [like my kids] interested in Ham
Radio.

Thanks for another good one, Ev!!

73,

Roger Rehr