[VHFcontesting] Understanding HamIM

Ev Tupis w2ev at arrl.net
Thu Sep 9 04:46:21 EDT 2004

Here's a typical HamIM-induced contest QSO:

KC2DMN shows up on a hilltop, unannounced, and sends a HamIM CQ.
K2AXX sees KC2DMN on his HamIM screen and sends a keyboard message...
    "Please accept FN12, any other bands?"
KC2DMN replies by keyboard...
    "R FN12, I'm FN02. CU on 222.125 SSB"
K2AXX calls on 222.125 SSB, makes the contact and runs the rest of the bands.
During the run, N2EZS notices KC2DMN on HamIM and makes a similar keyboard QSO
*WHILE* the 222.125 QSO is taking place and is quickly sent up to 222 to make
the run, too.
With both stations in tow, KC2DMN continues to run the bands.
W2FU now sees KC2DMN on his HamIM screen and makes the keyboard QSO (etc.)

In 10 minutes (once you get the hang of it), the rover has worked 6 stations on
each of four bands (24 QSO's! in the log) and is now concentrating on trying to
get noticed by those stations that don't have HamIM ... many of which are on
other bands or with antennas pointed in different directions, etc.

   Don't confuse this with Grid Circling or Pack Roving.  HamIM engenders
   the ability to make contacts with stations that one would otherwise
   stand a good chance of overlooking.

   Rhetorical questions:
    1) How many rovers stay on schedule 100% of the time? (not many)
    2) How many home stations can say that they've worked every rover
       in their "local" area in any given contest? (a lot don't)
    3) How many rover-to-rover QSO's have been missed because the
       rovers didn't know that they were in each other's "neighborhood"?

As for this being a "local QSO only" system?  Of course it is, with "local"
being a quantitiy that is defined by region.  For me at home, it's 6-grids.  For
someone in Nebraska, it could easily be 18-grids.  I have no idea what "local"
means to AA4ZZ, W2SZ/1 or K8GP.  Who knows what it is for a Rover on a
hilltop...but for them, this is a REAL boon to their operation.  Few rovers (and
home stations, by the way) have the ability to muster 300+ watt stations to get
"found" conventionally.  HamIM can add a whole new dimension of fun to a contest.

By the way, until distance-based scoring becomes a mainstream, 30 QSO's from my
"local" grids are worth as much as 30 QSO's from a grid that is 500 km away
(once you've worked that first one for the grid, that is).

Give it a try.  It's a real hoot, even with only a couple of participants in an
area.  Plant the seed and things will grow on their own.  We simply need to not
be afraid to think unconventionally -- while remaining within the spirit of the
event: which includes making RF contact with other stations. :)

Ev, W2EV
http://w2ev.rochesterny.org for more info on HamIM