[VHFcontesting] Multi-op rovers

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Tue Aug 2 09:10:02 EDT 2005

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Tree wrote:

> > I used to belong to the YCCC (Yankee Clipper Contest Club). Before hanging
> > those who participate in grid circling, you need to understand the
> > mentality of a contester.
>
> I think I do understand the mentality of a contester.
>
> > Putting in your best score requires you to know the rules better than your
> > opponent. In this way, you EXPLOIT weaknesses in the rules. If it don't say
> > you can't do it, then you can do it. It's that simple, it's nothing more
> > than common human behavior when placed in a competitive atmosphere.
>
> Yup - which is why we need to change the rules.
>
> > If THEY operate within the rules, then THEY shouldn't be chastised. Maybe
> > someone within the ARRL is QRV on the list? Change the rules, don't hang
> > the guys who are using them to the best advantage.
>
> Sure - change the rules...  I think this type of operation should be
> discouraged - as opposed to finding some class for it.

I think most people would like to win at least once in a while in their
category in a contest.  Although it is true for some people (I'm one of
them) that getting to operate in the contest is sufficient reward for
operating in the contest, it's nice to have a few wins for your effort.
People who find loopholes in the rules and exploit them to have a big
advantage over those who don't engage in such activities create hard
feelings with the other ops.  Chances are these captive rovers and grid
circlers are going to HAVE to continue their activities because everyone
else is going to refuse to work them.

Around here, there aren't a huge number of rovers.  The ones I hear (and
hopefully work) in every contest are just out there to work everyone they
can; I'm not too aware of captive rovers or a lot of grid circling in my
area.

I happen to enjoy QRP portable as my favorite participation mode.  I love
to try for microwave contacts, too.  So I hope I can get some of the
rovers around here onto the higher bands so I'll have more people to work
up there.

By the way I found a new hill in EN50rl which looks very promising and I
plan on operating from there in the August UHF contest this weekend. The
hill is probably the highest point in central Illinois and the peak of it
is about 100 feet off the road in a farmer's field. The road that passes
by is about 20 feet lower than the peak.  There is a dirt path to the top
and a clearing there.  By some serendipity when I was looking at the area
and listening for the K3SIW beacons on Sunday from the roadside, the
farmer who owns the property came by.  He gave me permission to use the
hilltop!

73, Zack W9SZ