[VHFcontesting] Simple Clarity and Enforcement Needed [was: Fixing the Grid Circling Problem]

Radiosporting Fan radiosporting at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 10:17:32 EDT 2005

A thread-reply from Kenneth sent me on a quest in
clarifying something.  It is based on something that I
said in a previous note on the topic...

> more closely align radio sports with a radio
> sporting event's intent (making contact with the
> most number of different stations over the greatest
> distances possible).

Kenneth challenged my stating the "event's intent"
mentioned above, so I went to the ARRL website and
have posted the intent of the contests for which Rover
is a category.  Of course, he was right!  I was
confusing this thread with another project that I'm
working on.  (sorry) However...

As one reads today's ARRL contest objectives (copied
below for convenience), one will realize why I said
earlier that the "fix for Grid Circling and Pack
Roving" is already in the rules, and simple
enforcement is all that is necessary.  The recurring
rules-theme is this:  1. Object: To work as many
amateur stations in as many 2 degree by 1 degree grid
squares as possible ...

Grid Circling by Pack Rovers is a strategy that flies
in *complete* opposition of both clauses of the event
objective.  GC/PR's are not participating in the event
any more than Lance Armstrong is participating in a
steeplechase (though both may be taking place on the
same track at the same time). <-This is a significant
understanding, btw.

Instead, the GC/PR's object is to work a pack of
predefined stations (in opposition to the "as many
stations" clause) through a predefined list of 2
degree by 1 degree grid squares as possible (opposing
the "as many 2 degree by 1 degree grid squares"
clause).

If I'm the only person to see this, then maybe it's
time that I see a shrink to explore a treatment
regimine that could help. ;)

In a perfect world, this would be the time to take the
Rettisnich off the mantle and start Checklogging
stations that violate an event's objective.  By the
way, this offers 'Tree's Troup' the flexibility for
human auditing/interpretation that he was so
interested in having.

Sadly, the GC/PR strategy has actually been celebrated
in the pages of QST which will make fixing things more
difficult...but not impossible.

What's right is right.

Ev, W2EV

10 GHz Contest 2005
1. Object: North American amateurs work as many
amateur stations in as many different locations as
possible in North America on bands from 10-GHz through
Light.

NOTE: DX-Based scoring is in effect for this event!
Grid circling does not occur.  Real advancement to
both the radio science and contesting art does,
however.  Because of the impact of geography at these
frequencies, there are other issues to address...but
they are easy (and a topic for a different thread).

August UHF Contest
1. Object: To work as many amateur stations in as many
2 degree by 1 degree grid squares as possible using
authorized amateur frequencies above 222 MHz and all
authorized modes of emission.

January VHF Sweepstakes 2005
1. Object: To work as many amateur stations in as many
different 2 degrees × 1 degree grid squares as
possible using authorized frequencies above 50 MHz.
Foreign stations work W/VE amateurs only.

June VHF QSO Party
1. Object: To work as many amateur stations in as many
different 2 degrees by 1 degree grid squares as
possible using authorized frequencies above 50 MHz.
Foreign stations work W/VE amateurs only.

September VHF QSO Party 2005
1. Object: To work as many amateur stations in as many
different 2 degrees X 1 degree grid squares as