[VHFcontesting] VHF Contesting: Fixing the Grid Circling

kevin kaufhold kkaufhold at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 15:11:43 EDT 2005

Bob K0NR wrote:

< I am still left with "how does any of this become
< actionable?" Re-hashing vhf contest rules on this
< list is an interesting exercise but not all that
< productive (my opinion).

I think this thread is interesting and informative, in
that it may be leading to a general consensus against
pack roving, and that is something that did not emerge
from the comments in last year's advisory committee
process.

Most of the comments at least from the Midwest were
focused on grid circling and captives, and the feeling
has been that neither situation has been a significant
problem in the mid section of the country.  In fact,
there has been a general recognition that most rovers
will grid circle to a certain extent as they go about
their normal roving activities.

I am always supportive of rovers wanting to do solo
grid runs, and even see merit in some of the more
sociable captives - so long as they actually
participate in the contest, and not merely work their
own sponsors. But this thread is generating
interesting comments on why pack rovers should either
be banned outright or moved into a separate category.

Kevin
W9GKA