[VHFcontesting] Fwd: Re: VHF Contesting: Fixing the Grid Circling

kr7o@vhfdx.com kr7o at vhfdx.com
Tue Aug 9 15:03:41 EDT 2005

At 12:05 PM 8/9/2005 -0400, Mike Perryman wrote:
>I have tried to remain silent through this whole exchange...   but,
>
>I honestly can't think of any good reasons to use WSJT in a
>contest...  unless you have completely worked the band out.

Hmm, let's see.  I had worked the bands out in the UHF contest by noon
Saturday (two hours into the contest).  Guess I should have just shut down
and went fishing.

>A valid
>contact requires 5 minutes to complete.
>
>For terrestrial work, this is an huge amount of time to complete one
>contact.  I could knock-off at least 20 contacts by phone in this amount of
>time.

5 minutes per Q is a pretty good rate out here in CA (unless 6m is
open)!  I can CQ for 30 minutes and maybe work one person from a grid I
have already worked multiple times.  If there was enough activity, that is
a potential 84 contacts plus access to grids outside of tropo range that
your competitors are not working (while they are sleeping).  Any additional
contact/grid you can work over your competitor is to your advantage.  On 6m
meteor scatter, I can frequently complete valid random QSOs within less
than 2 minutes of copying their callsign.  CT and most other contest
logging programs will tell you how many minutes a mult is worth, it is up
to the operator how to act upon that information.

73, Robert KR7O/YB2ARO, DM07ba/OI52ee  (ex.  N7STU)
kr7o at vhfdx.com

www.vhfdx.com (Norcal WSWSS activities & KR7O/YB2ARO homepages)