[VHFcontesting] FSK/digital modes

jon jones n0jk at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 10 13:00:09 EDT 2005

I owe the Reflector an apology there is not really an issue (yet) with
digital modes in VHF Contesting, as Mike KA5CVH points out. The main issue,
as I see it, is with awards such as DXCC, WAS and VUCC, etc. - so another
venue is more appropriate to discuss this.

I couldn't resist tossing this out to see what active VHF ops thoughts about
it are. Thanks to all for your comments. Obviously there are strong opinions
about the digital modes both pro and con.

Personally I am ambivalent about Joe Taylor's creation. I have made some
digital 144 MHz EME QSOs. JT-65 does work very well. I am building a JT-65
EME station in Oklahoma. However, I prefer to hear the signals with my own
ears.

Mike, KA5CVH points out a concern with the software:

>Also be aware that the software digs so deep into the noise that it will
>"invent" decodes from it's own database...  in other words, it will try to
>tell you "I think that was what I heard"..  with very subtle clues to
>discern the difference from actual copy of good data.  Not to say that it
>is
>a bad thing...  just be aware that the decoding algorithm really digs deep,
>and can sometimes lead an operator astray.  I learned that one the hard
>way...

I have also seen iwhere people have used the Internet "chat pages" to "help"
the software with the "decodes." So there may be instances where the QSOs
may be suspect.

>As for fancy equipment...  all I have ever used is a laptop computer, and a
>homebrew sound card interface that cost about 10 bucks to build.  In my
>opinion..  the fancy equipment required is located directly between your
>ears.

The "fancy equipment" I was alluding to was for JT-65 EME. Here one usually
needs 4 big long yagis on an az/el mount, a 1.5 KW amp and top gear. JT-65
EME QSOs have been completed on 50 MHz by stations running 100w and a 6M5X
yagi.

73,

Jon N0JK