[VHFcontesting] FM is the root af all evil

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Wed Aug 10 14:40:45 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 14:29, Bob Naumann - W5OV wrote:
> Since we're discussing things that need to change to improve VHF
> contests, I wanted to make sure that my favorite needed change is not
> overlooked.
>
> My favorite is FM use in VHF contests.
>
> If ever there was a reason for creating seperate categories, the use of
> FM is certainly one.  In fact, I would be in favor of completely
> outlawing FM use.  At minimum, all scores that include FM qsos should
> have an asterisk by them to indicate that these "achievements" are
> tainted by the use of FM.
>
> Those who, merely by being close to a densely populated urban area, can
> make many qsos with FM only, shack on the belt types who may be likely
> to respond saying "10-4" should not be permitted to compete with those
> who don't have that benefit.
>
> I believe that if FM were dealt with properly, many of the more recent
> ills would not be as likely to have occurred either.
>
> 73,
> Bob W5OV

Bob, I don't think its a good idea to 'outlaw' a mode of operation, especially
one as common as FM.

One way to get folks into VHF contesting is well, to get them on and try
it out.  Since *most* hams that have 2m/70cm abilities are FM only, they
have the ability right away to at least try things out.  No, they can't hear
the ssb crowd and no they aren't going to be able to contact that many,
but at least its a start.

I've been the cheerleader for our local club, trying to increase activity
during VHF contests.  Before I started this last year we did Field Day with
some VHF activity, but that was the only real event we did, save maybe
Sweekstakes.  In trying to get people to come out and at least look at
our station, I've gotten questions from the mildly curious, and a frequent
question has been how much it would cost to do it.  Telling them that
they can sort of do things with FM has been starting point for a few
people.  I wouldn't say they were thrilled with the few people to talk
with on FM, but its sparked an idea...

Think of FM operation as a mode with training wheels.  In the UHF
contest I made a contact on 222 FM, because the person didn't
have his 222 transverter working.  Should I have not gotten that
point?  I think its reasonable.

I'm not sure what you mean by "recent ills" in contesting, but I will say
that those ills, whatever they are, are an artifact of the people
participating in the contest--not the mode they use.  Such people
are a problem regardless of mode use or equipment owned.

--STeve Andre'
wb8wsf  en82