[VHFcontesting] How to increase my score

Stephen Hicks, N5AC n5ac at n5ac.com
Thu Aug 11 15:00:14 EDT 2005

John,

I do not seal most of the coax on my rover (perhaps I should), but when I
do, I have found that the best stuff I have ever used is a combination of
Scotch 23 splicing tape and Scotch electrical tape.  Scotch 23 is a think
tape (1/2 mm or so thick) that you stretch as you wrap.  The tape becomes
sticky and form fits as it is stretched.  I then seal this wrap with Scotch
33/33+ or whatever electrical tape I have in the opposite wrap direction.
If you ever need to get inside to fix something, a single slit down the side
will remove everything with no sticky mess.  (Be sure to remove the
separating film in the 23 -- the clear perforated stuff in the middle peels
off the tape).  I just shake my head when I see people use that junk that
looks like black silly putty that is flattened.  The Scotch 23 works the
best of anything I've used.

Finally on any "permanent" outdoor connection, I paint it with Scotch-Kote.
Scotch Kote goes on as a gooey sticky mess and you'll be wondering what it's
going to be like coming off, but it provides a wonderful waterproof shell
that's easy to get off later.  Use liberally.

(I'm sure you think I work for 3M at this point, but I don't!)

73/Steve