[VHFcontesting] How to increase my score, or why should I try?

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Thu Aug 11 15:14:14 EDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 04:03:20PM -0400, Buck Calabro wrote:
> Hello Kenneth,
>
> > The fundamental problem burdening VHF
> > contesting today is the "team" problem.
> -snip-
> > have other stations that get on the air as
> > part of a team of stations working toward
> > a single goal - that one of the stations
> > in the team wins the contest.
>
> Doesn't general contest rule 8 specifically allow club competition?
> Isn't the point that one wants one's own club to win the contest?

This has nothing to do with the ARRL Club Competition.  If it did,
wouldn't the "mother ship", W2SZ/1, have listed an ARRL club on its
log submission?  It never has.  What about N6NB/R?  Did that circle
rover station enter the club competition on behalf of any ARRL club?
No.

In both cases, what we have is a single contest operation using more
than one callsign to make contacts with itself to artificially boost
its score so that one of its callsigns can be the recognized winner of
a category in the contest.  This is unsportsmanlike, and many of us
think it should be considered cheating and that the rules should be
fixed to prevent it.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker at kenharker.com