[VHFcontesting] How to increase my score, or why should I try?

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Fri Aug 12 00:16:08 EDT 2005

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, George Fremin III wrote:

> > If someone can demonstrate how I can drive to a random hilltop, set my
> > dishes up in random directions and elevations, call CQ on random
> > frequencies at random times in a VHF contest with microwaves
> > (microwaves = points) AND increase my score, then I'm all ears.
>
> Well - at least here in Texas almost all of the
> activity happens around or on the calling frequencies
> so if I were to put a radio or 1296.1 all weekend
> in a VHF contest I would work folks randomly.
> (this is my highest band)

I've made quite a few randoms on 903 and 1296.  In fact, I did it in the
UHF contest last weekend. Most do take place on the calling frequencies.

And I came close to working W9ZIH who was calling CQ on 10368.100.  Ron
must've expected a few random QSO's or he wouldn't have been calling CQ.
If I'd had a little more power than 100 mW I'll bet I'd have made it.

73, Zack W9SZ