[VHFcontesting] Pack Rovers meet ARRL contest objectives

Radiosporting Fan radiosporting at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 15:56:55 EDT 2005

The common theme of ARRL contests:  1. Object: To work
as many amateur stations in as many different 2
degrees × 1 degree grid squares as possible using
authorized frequencies above 50 MHz.

There are three variables: Callsign, Grid, Band.  A
single change in any one (while the other two may
remain the same) allows for a valid QSO to be logged.
Strategically, this begs competitive participants to
"cycle through" the combinations at will.

In recent years, the ARRL disallowed the use of
multiple callsigns from the same station (see the
"family rule").  That leaves two variables: Grid and
Band.

Watch out...here comes a butt-kicker... we celebrate
it when we "cycle through the bands" with a station,
but we villify those that "circle the grids"?
Hypocritical, given the objective of the event.

Here are several "fixing" strategies to consider:

1. Do nothing and expect this controversy to surface
regularly.

2. Invoke clear, unambiguous, non-interpretable
restrictions on grid circling (just as the ARRL did
with limiting multiple callsigns in the same station).

3. Publish a "percent unique calls" column in the
results.  The "court of public scrutiny" will shape
behavior.

Alternatively... the "purest" contests are the ones
that the ARRL said "no one operated", so they
discontinued sponsorship of: Sprints.  They are
single-band, leaving only one variable: grid.  They
last only three hours, leaving little time to
grid-circle so no one adopts that strategy.
Hmmmm...maybe that is why there is a recent resurgence
in sprint-type events.

Crackers for the cranium,
Ev, W2EV