[VHFcontesting] Pack Rovers meet ARRL contest objectives

Tree tree at kkn.net
Mon Aug 15 12:35:37 EDT 2005

> A "captive rover" generally describes a rover whose activity in the contest
> is exclusively intended to benefit a particular fixed station.  The rover
> may be using equipment partially or entirely supplied by the fixed station,
> is on a schedule to be at certain locations at certain times to make QSOs
> on certain bands, and is expected to make contacts with other stations if
> and only if it has time between making contacts with the mother ship it is
> intended to help.  The equipment the captive rovers use might be very low
> power - capable of making contact with the mother ship but not much further -
> or operate on frequencies (such as 908 MHz) that nobody else uses, which
> further impedes their capability to make QSOs with other stations.
>
> The combined efforts of these captive rovers are clearly not in the spirit of
> fair competition against other fixed stations, and a lot of us feel it should
> be banned as cheating.  So far, it has only poisoned the M/U class.

And as some people pointed out, the 2nd and 3rd stations in a grid circling
operation probably come close to fitting the description.  The only difference
being - that they also work themselves (which I am starting to wonder why they
bother).

Another possible comparison to the grid circling activity would be working a
CW Sprint - totally with people that you have coordinated times/frequencies
with - so that most of the contest is scripted out.

Tree