[VHFcontesting] The Captive / Captivated Rover

Radiosporting Fan radiosporting at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 17:52:29 EDT 2005

I'm a Rover...
--------------
I want to work lots of stations on lots of bands in as
many grids as I can find them FROM as many grids as I
can get to.  Who should I target?  M/U's and other
multiband Rovers.

I'm a M/U...
------------
I'm attempting to work as many stations in as many
grids on as many bands as possible.  Who should I
target?  Multiband Rovers who know where they're going
and when they'll be there.  I'll even put up with less
operator skill at first, knowing that I'll get
10-bands from that grid in this contest and win over
an ally in future events as we feed each other's
disease.

I'm a non-Rover, non-M/U...
---------------------------
... with a couple of bands (probably worth only 1 or 2
QSO-points each, by the way).  I can't find the Rovers
and there are long stretches of time when I don't hear
the M/U's calling CQ.  I ask myself, "How can they
rack up all of those points, if I can't hear them
doing it?"  I answer myself, "Because they're cheating
me out of contacts by working (Rovers in their
pack/Captive Rovers)."

If you want to work these stations...it is up to you
to captivate them!  Get more bands (1 QSO on 10 GHz =
8 QSO's on 2m in January!) and learn how to work other
stations "all the way up", quickly.

More "Crackers for the Cranium",
Ev, W2EV