[VHFcontesting] Pack Rovers meet ARRL contest objectives

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Tue Aug 16 00:07:48 EDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 09:40:44PM -0400, n2lbt at n2lbt.com wrote:
> Please, I would no sooner give out my rover strategy than would ND3F
> or W3IY. This is a contest, and just like everyone else, my logs are
> between me and the ARRL and apparently a select few that claim to
> have impartial and private access to them. Maybe you can ask one of
> them.

Ok - I guess I also share K1KI's view - log sharing is
common practice among HF types.  In fact I have started
recording my contests and I have been planning on not only posting
my logs on the web but my recordings of the contests in hour
chunks.  I have not made the time to create those pages
yet but I did post to this list links to the last three years
of my June VHF logs.

I have not uploaded the audio of the June VHF contest
to the server yet but here are my other contests:

http://www.kkn.net/k5tr/audio/contests/

> When you say "rover log in your part of the country" we have a small
> problem. I'm usually the only rover in that area. Not many rovers in
> the Eastern Townships of Quebec. In fact not many rovers in Quebec at
> all. I've worked another rover maybe once or twice on this route and
> that was usually on low bands towards Toronto. No other rover logs to
> compare to.

OK - then whom are you protecting your strategy from?

> I give out points. I give out rare grid squares. I attempt longer
> distance shots with the gear I've assembled. I promote VHF/UHF
> activity in otherwise inactive areas. I work as many people as I can.
> I've been doing this since I started in VHF. With the change in the
> rover rules, there is no way for my type of operation to compete with
> a 24+ grid rover going 70mph between population centers. But I try
> not to whine and complain. I just go about my business of activating
> rare grids, bettering my station and technical abilities. I work the
> stations that attempt to work me. Someday, I might get it together
> enough to win. I'm working on it.

Sounds great - I am glad to hear you are working lots of different stations.

It would be even cooler if you sent in your logs, I see that you
have only submitted logs for three ARRL contests in the last 10 years.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii at kkn.net
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr