[VHFcontesting] What about me? I am captive.

w3sz w3sz at comcast.net
Thu Aug 18 03:00:12 EDT 2005

HI, Tim,

I think that you are a great rover and greatly appreciate the favor you do
for all of us in the VHF and up community with your hard work and great
roving skills!

I think it is a tiny very vocal minority that has been spouting off on the
reflector with the anti-rover views that you mention.  And while they
would splutter that they are not anti-rover, but anti 'captive rover',
they are in fact anti-rover, in addition to promulgating yet again a
tiresome vendetta against some of the guys and gals who have done more to
bring 'new blood' into the VHF and up world than any of the rest of us.

The captive rover is a mythical beast.  I know well and have the utmost
respect for the guys and gals at W2SZ, and so I can comment most directly
about their operation.  I know that they do NOT have captive rovers.  They
encourage the rovers they assist to work everyone.  They have been largely
silent but I believe that they too have been personally and deeply hurt by
the slanderous comments made recently on this reflector and in the past
regarding the mythical 'captive rovers' and the innuendos that have been
tossed about.  I hope that the unfortunate remarks made by some on this
reflector do not cause them or you to stop contesting.  For if they do,
amateur radio will have suffered a great loss.

I went to Greylock and contested with the W2SZ group a couple of times,
and was extremely impressed with their commitment to improving the VHF and
up world for all of us by Elmering and bringing new blood into our
community.  They see this as their mission and do us all a great service.
I have heard them on multiple occasions remind rovers to do their utmost
to work many 'other' stations rather than just W2SZ.  Nothing could be
further from the truth than the false allegations to the contrary that are
carelessly tossed around on this email list by a few individuals.

I also know the guys who make up W3CCX and W8GP, two other big multi-op
stations in this part of the country, and while I have not visited their
multioperator stations, I know them well enough so that I do not believe
that they have captive rovers either.  So I really do not believe that the
fictitious beast 'captive rover' exists at all.

I also know most of the rovers in this part of the country and know that
they are not captive, and do not avoid working other stations [what a
ridiculous and demeaning concept]!

I find that I frequently have significantly more difficulty working rovers
[whom I hear quite well] than I do fixed stations.  I have attributed this
to [1] the conditions under which they operate, [2] propagation conditions
and geography, [3] deficiencies in my operating skills, and [4]
deficiencies in my station setup.  I have worked to improve the percentage
of successful contacts I make by working to improve my skills and my
station.  I would never blame my inability to work them on an evil
'conspiracy' of multiops and rovers to avoid working me or other hams.

I know that the rovers I have difficulty working are not 'captive rovers'
for any station.  I realize that the way I can improve my record of
working them is to improve my station and my operating skill, not rail
about some mythical beast in a manner that hurts the entire VHF and
contesting community on an internet reflector.  S#*& happens, and everyone
at times is going to be in a position where a contact that absolutely
'should' have occurred doesn't occur.  When this happens one should
realize that its due to one of the four factors mentioned above, or due to
S#*& happening at the other end [local interference, a blown preamp, a
blown amp, forgetting to throw a switch, a stuck relay, a friendly visit
 from 'Smokey' asking what is going on...the list of possibilities is
endless], and not blame some ridiculous conspiracy.

To those of you who can't work the rovers whom you think you should be
able to work AND who believe this is the result of a conspiracy among
large multiop stations and dozens of rovers, I recommend that rather than
posting your rants on the internet, you spend your time attempting to
improve your stations and improve your operating skills.  And if you email
the rovers whom you believe to be captive with sked requests or to set up
a 'plan' before the next contest, I suspect that they will gladly set up a
plan to work you.  But due to the vagaries of propagation, etc. NO contact
should ever be considered to be guaranteed in advance.  If it were, there
would be no need to actually RUN the contest ;)  I am not a great
operator, but I have learned this.

Rest assured Tim, there is a silent majority that supports you and the
other rovers and greatly appreciates your efforts!  Please continue to be
active as you have been!

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ