[VHFcontesting] What about me? I am captive.

Buck Calabro kc2hiz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 11:24:09 EDT 2005

> Of course, there is a continuum of
> possibilities here. A rover might be
> "captive" to a fixed station on higher
> GHz bands, *only* making contacts
> with the 'mother' station on those
> higher GHz bands but is actively
> pursuing contacts on lower (GHz
> and MHz) bands (and, hopefully
> *making* such contacts)...

That's almost me.  I can't get through to hardly anybody else, so I
make sure I talk to a super contest station.  My other option is to
make QSOs with a super rover who can find me AND who has a microwave
shot at me.  More often than not, this requires pre-planning, as in 'I
will be on hill A at 1200UTC.  Hill A has a clear LOS to hill B.  If
you are at hill B at 1200UTC we can work each other.'  If
circumstances (road construction!) delay that somewhat informal
schedule, we only work on the low bands; often while mobile.  But not
even that works sometimes if we are both travelling down in a
different valley...

> is *that* behavior a problem? Hard to say.

Tree seemed to indicate that it is OK.  I work as many as I can on all
bands, but the logs don't show the hours I spend in (say) FN21 calling
CQ without a contact.

  --buck