[VHFcontesting] NEW Topic - Interference from GPS on 222

John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK k9jk73 at msn.com
Fri Aug 19 09:10:26 EDT 2005

Hello all,

Has anyone else experienced interference from their GPS right on the 222 Narrow Band Calling frequency?

I'd been noticing this for a while, sounding like slightly raspy morse A's run together (didahdidahdidahdidah...ad infinitum). FINALLY, during the most recent UHF Contest, I convinced myself that the source was my Garmin GPS V. It seems to always be there when the GPS is powered on, just above 222.100 (with similar signals around 222.123 and 222.145). Seems not to matter if the unit is running on battery or from the Cigarette Lighter adapter so I don't think it's radiation from the power cord and it definitely goes away when the unit is powered off.

It IS low level...not moving the S-meter but can definitely get in the way of hearing weak signals ON the calling frequency.

Have any other rovers (or non-rovers) experienced such interference from their GPS? (Any folks from Garmin on the groups?)

73, JK