[VHFcontesting] Poll

gmills@frontiernet.net gmills at frontiernet.net
Wed Aug 24 11:57:14 EDT 2005

Well... you can't base anything on 6 data points. In fact, it could be
the same guy replying 6 times! (fake email happens... happened here, oh
man it was great the flurry that caused!!)

I should also add Gore LOST Florida fair and square. No matter what some
people think, some votes go against them. Imagine that!!!

My "captive rover" and "grid circlin'" personal factoids:
1. I'm not very good talking on the radio. So... it's easier talking to
a call I know, rather than somebody I don't recognize. It's the public
speaking thing, and just a personal problem I have.
2. I put 30 Watts into my 3 GHz and 5 GHz transverter front ends one
time while some guy wanted to work 2m FM from 50' away. Sorry... I
spent what, 40 hours on those two radios, and ZERO time on my HT. I was
trying to figure out why my radio worked and forgot about the HT. SORRY!
SHEESH!
3. Grid circle if you want, I don't care. Who is it hurting, really? If
you were rovering the "regular" way, you know you won, even if it looks
like you didn't. The more it is talked about, the less chance they will
get bored and do something else!
4. What's this "10% of the calls can't be more than one station". Well..
I work a couple of 10 or 11 band U/M's, and the next thing you know,
they are a big chunk of your log. Yes, I have more fun spending 30
minutes trying to do a 47 GHz Q across Lake Ontario, than 2 meter
stuff. Just how it turns out... and it's about fun, right?
5. Calling CQ on 2 (GHz) and up... worked once on 3 GHz... W2FU off the
"back of the dish" last January. Pretty funny... and he was LOUD. Of
course I was only 30 miles away, and line of sight. That was obviously
before the snow plow put my dish in orbit.
6. I'm not a cheater... don't need the slander.

Thanks,

Greg - K2LDT