[VHFcontesting] The 22 Grids

Radiosporting Fan radiosporting at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 28 08:47:26 EDT 2005

--- N6MU1 at aol.com wrote:
> Our route is no secret.

> We started just north of Alamogordo, NM at
> DM62/63/72/73. Then north to Moriarty, NM for
> DM64/65/74/75.

> Hope this helps. 73...

Yes, it does, John.  It is fascinating (to me anyway)
the logistics behind a high scoring pack rove.  I'm
still studying the "side trip" made to DM74 between
your first and second circling points.

The other thing that interests me is the QSO's with
non-pack stations by N6ZZ/r.  The log says there were
a total of eight (8).  With one exception (DM65), they
were made from a grid *other* than the one from which
the pack was activly circling.

Your QSO and band-changing rate must have burned up
the mic and switches! :)  Not taking the two minute
"delay" it took you to relocate to a new grid each
time, your QSO rates were on the order of 200/hr (even
higher by taking out the "silent time" between grid
relocations as noted.)

My opinion of the meaninglessness of such an activity
aside, all I can say is "WOW!".  You guys really took
advantage of exploiting the rules in reaching your
goal.

I'll bet you have already started strategizing on your
next attempt.  Honestly, you haven't reached the limit
yet.  I can see how it may be possible to double your
score already (maybe even quadruple it...I've got to
think about it a little more).

Ev, W2EV