[VHFcontesting] CATV RFI from 2m SSB (UPDATE)

David L. Martin dlmarti at kc2lcf.net
Thu Feb 17 14:25:32 EST 2005

<lots of snipage>

My experience:

I had terrible interference from the CATV system in my area.  All across
the 2m and 70cm bands.  So much so I didn't call about the problem.  I
just figured with as bad as it was it was never going to get fixed.  So
I only operated from the club shack a few miles away.

To make a long story short, it turned out that the neutral (yes the
Power company) had come loose from a connector on the pole for both my
neighbor and myself.  The house wiring was using the CATV shield as the
return for power on both houses.  This slowly burned away the shield in
several locations.

The power company came out and replaced the neutral connectors, and the
CATV company came out and replaced the cable.  I now have no noise,
absolutely none.

Both the CATV and Power company said this was a common problem, the
historically goes unnoticed for years.
--
David L. Martin <w0snj at arrl.net>
http://www.kc2lcf.net