[VHFcontesting] Rovermobile is out of commission

Bill Burgess ve3cru at rac.ca
Wed Jan 19 18:58:34 EST 2005

Greetings,

Sad to say, the Rovermobile looks ready for eme or satellite communications but is now disabled for the contest.  In a senior's moment, I drove through the drive-thru at the donut shop that has a clearance of 9 feet I think and a heavy steel crossframe supporting the hanging sign.  I needed just over 12 feet as I changed the mast for the contest.  Now all beams are pointing a good 30 degrees to the sky.  The sched 40 pipe looks straight and all beams are healthy, but the rotator plate is bent as is the triangular 24 inch section of tv tower.  The plywood at the rear mount gave way under the strain but I cannot see any roof damage thus far.  I hope the Ham-4 survived.

I will strip the roof down for now, and run 6 meters only for the contest if my beam here will now rotate.  So I owe many a raincheck.  Please accept.  Just checked and the beam will rotate here.

See you on 6 in the 'test.

73,

Bill  VE3CRU ex-R

Email: ve3cru at rac.ca