[VHFcontesting] Rohn Telescoping Masts

JT Croteau jt at w6cfo.net
Wed Jan 26 15:57:27 EST 2005

John:

I'm replying to the list in hopes that others will read my added babble to
this reply.

K9JK wrote:

 "Are you actually FINDING Rohn Telescoping masts??"

Well, I've found a couple different sites which sell communications
equipment that have them listed online.  One of the sites is here:

http://www.ecwest.com/shopping/PriceList.asp?sType=3

3/4 of the way down the page.  Whether they have them in stock or not is a
different question.

I haven't decided on what I am going to do just yet for my rover.  I know
what antennas I want up in the air and I know I want some type of
telescoping mast with the rotor bolted to the bed of the pickup truck but my
fabrication skills are severely limited and I don't have access to a lot of
tools.

I've been looking at a lot of pictures of various rovers over the past few
weeks.  All are excellent but, especially all that incorporate rotors in
pickup beds, never seem to take closeup shots of the key areas of install.
Most photos are taken from a good distance away from the vehicle for a great
overall few of the whole rig.

Here's a nice example of a very clean and simple install similar to what I
am trying to achieve.  Unfortuately, he is not using any type of telescoping
methods to gain more altitude:

http://www.ka5cvh.com/photos/albums/userpics/roverpix/rover_02.jpg

And here's another nice pickup rover:

http://www.ka5cvh.com/photos/albums/userpics/roverpix/rover_16.jpg

Wimo in Germany has several different masts that would be ideal for roving,
and they are priced within reason until you add on the freight costs from
Germany.  I am half tempted to go this route however and just swallow the
heavy price tag.

Here are the Wimo masts I am talking about:

http://www.wimo.de/cgi-bin/verteiler.pl?url=mastalu_e.htm

Thanks to all.

- JT