[VHFcontesting] W9SZ CQ WW VHF (fwd)

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Mon Jul 18 13:24:36 EDT 2005

Here's my score for my ~5 hours of activity on Sunday afternoon:

Band     Q's     Points     Mults
6m        7        7          6
2m        6        12         5

TOTAL     13       19         11  = 209

I was in the "Hilltopper" class from a hill in the extreme southeast
corner of EN51, west of Chebanse IL.  This is near the corner of 4 grid
squares. It didn't seem to be such a great location.  I've had better luck
from other hills.

It was 95 degrees in the shade with high humidity and no breeze, and
sitting there in a black car I was sweltering!  I thought I was going to
get heat exhaustion a couple times.  Today I have a pretty painful
sunburn. The price we pay for "fun"!  :-)

Six meters kept on promising of an opening and I worked 4 eastern grids
but it wasn't even as good as Field Day, which was also pitiful. Other
than that, conditions were pretty poor.  I started hearing stations to the
northeast several grids away during the last 15 minutes of the contest but
if it developed into any sort of opening, everyone went QRT at the end.

73, Zack W9SZ