[VHFcontesting] Expected life of coax

Curtis QA Department qa at curtisdoorsystems.com
Tue Jun 28 12:41:47 EDT 2005

Hi John,
I'd have to agree with George on his techniques following the losses over the
years of usage. But the type of 9913/ 213 makes a difference as well. If it is
solid insulation over air insulation there is the consideration of connectors
weakening and infiltration by the elements, and therefore different strategies
are needed to consider the life expectancy of the cable. I use air insulated
9913 for 50 mhz  only and the need to change it regardless of contamination by
the elements is 3 to 5 years based on George's suggestions, and my
calculations. So far I haven't seen any that will go beyond 5 years here, but
then again I have heat and cold conditions to deal with as well. You may be
able to get more mileage in your geographical location.
Hope this helps somewhat.

Jim, N2YEV
FN34gs, Plattsburgh, NY