[VHFcontesting] Why the Old Fashined Screen Supplies "Just Don't CutIt"

Tom Carney tomc7 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 7 12:53:15 EST 2005

The screen supply for a linear amplifier has to be stable (IE regulated) to
minimize inter modulation distortion.  In an old class C amplifier, the
screen supply is usually just a resistor in series with a power supply.
Since the sreeen current varies during the power cycle, you get a voltage
that varies during the cycle.  This will cause a significant increase in
IMD.  Thus the need for a regulated screen supply.

As for the second question, I would guess the mid 60ies for HF, later for
VHF.  My mid sixties handbooks show amplifier designs that could be biased
for either linear of class C service in the HF section while the VHF
amplifiers are often class C designs.  No hard and fast rule.

73,  Tom  K6EU