[VHFcontesting] Question about stacking 4 (70cm) halos

Alex kr1st at amsat.org
Mon May 30 11:29:37 EDT 2005

Hi there,

I've stacked 4 homebrew 70cm loops. All have the gamma match in the same
direction. Each set of two loops are connected to a 2x3/4wl RG59
harness. Then I connect these harnesses to the third harness that
consists of 1 leg of 3/4wl RG59, and the other leg is 5/4wl RG59.

I know that if you'd stack just two antennas and you use a 1/4wl - 3/4wl
harness, then the gamma matches need to be in the opposite direction for
correct phasing. When each leg in the harness is of equal length then
the gamma matches need to be in the same direction.

My question is, is it ok for the the third harness not to have equal
length legs in my situation (as long as they are odd multiples of 1/4wl)
or should they be equal? Of course I didn't think of this question until
after I built the antenna. :)

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com