[VHFcontesting] FREQ for tonight

John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK k9jk73 at msn.com
Wed Oct 5 14:57:51 EDT 2005

Bob,

Seconding Zack's info...432.100 is the 'official' calling frequency for SSB and CW 'weak signal' activity in the 420-450 MHz amateur band and most activity seems to be within 20-25 kHz of there, though I also tune as far as 50 kHz above and below 'dot 1' (i.e. 432.050 to 432.150). General 'practice' is that an occasional CQ on the calling frequency is acceptable (as a Rover I almost always go there first when I get to a new grid) but continued CQs should be away from there or if you get a 'run' of stations you should move off there (seems like stations always try for 5 kHz increments, e.g. 432.105, 432.110, 432.115, etc. and below 432.100 is ALSO allowed). Don't forget to listen for and be ready to go on CW.

For FM, 446.0 MHz is the "National Simplex Frequency" and as I recall you being in Southern California, there are a lot of repeaters and remote links just above and below that frequency so it will be difficult to 'move off' of that frequency if you find a lot of activity, though, I'm not aware of there being a hotbed of 432 MHz Sprint activity out in Southern California, so you may be very lonely (and I'd be happy to be proven wrong!) Maybe check with the local frequency coordinating body as far as other possible simplex frequencies in your area. I think that is the SCRRBA (So. Cal. Rptr. and Remote Base Assoc.?).

As far as logging programs...you probably won't need one for tonight's Sprint, the pace is typically not so great that paper logging will slow you down (though, again, I'd be happy to be proven wrong). As a Rover in the Sprints...I do my logging on paper. One program to investigate is "RoverLog"...I have never tried it myself but I have heard good reports about it, for VHF/UHF Contesting in general...not specific to Rovers. I also note that KM0T is very pleased with it from his write-up about his results (incredible Single Op High Power score) in the 2005 UHF Contest (see http://www.km0t.com/pages/uhf2005.htm<http://www.km0t.com/pages/uhf2005.htm> ...scroll way down to the bottom for his comments about RoverLog).

Good Luck tonight!

73, JK