[VHFcontesting] Masting . . .

Ron Hooper w4wa at alltel.net
Sun Oct 30 18:11:50 EST 2005

I have a reinforced 2 element 40 meter Crushcraft mounted 15 feet above the
top of a tower on 1.5 inch schedule 40 water pipe which has been in place 10
years now. I have also seen the same type pipe bend with a M2, 7 element 6
meter beam the same distance out of the tower in less than a year. The way
to keep the water pipe from bending is to insert a 1.250 stick of square
tubing inside the water pipe. The square shape in the round tube makes it
extremely strong, probably better than the HSS tubing. The tubing fits tight
and many need to be dressed with a grinder or plan to use a big hammer to
get it inside. Sure it is heavy but so is going with a larger diameter pipe.
On 21 foot water pipe I usually use about 15 feet of tubing inside starting
at the rotor.

Ron W4WA