[VHFcontesting] Pack Roving Solicitation [was: Septemebr VHF Contest plans.]

Radiosporting Fan radiosporting at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 4 15:57:47 EDT 2005

> We are also trying to get other members of the
> Stoned Monkeys to join in on a pack rove effort

Here's food for thought...

--- Single Operator ---
For simplicity sake let's assume a decently equipped
and skilled 2 meter station amasses 368 QSO-points
(368 QSO's!) and makes contact in 40 grids.  This can
take most/all of 33 hours.  The score: 14,720.  Unique
stations contacted: 368.

Twenty two other stations duplicate that effort
(doubtful, but possible).  Total score of all
participants: 323,840

--- Pack Rover ---
For simplicity sake let's assume three minimally
equipped 10-band rovers go to dance (what are the
chances? <g>).  A rover stays in a single grid while
the other two circle through four.  This takes 54
minutes (a true timeframe, according to N6MU/r's log).
 The end result: 368 QSO-points and 40 grids (same as
above!) resulting in a single-grid 54-minute score of
14,720.  Unique stations contacted: 2.

This process is repeated through 22 grids circles.
Total score of all participants: Over 6-million.
Number of participants: 3.

This is laughable.

Ev, W2EV