[VHFcontesting] Multiple Calls, Same Rover [was: Septemebr VHF Contest plans.]

Radiosporting Fan radiosporting at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 4 20:01:46 EDT 2005

--- "k9tms at mindspring.com" <k9tms at mindspring.com>
wrote:

> Ev;
>
> Read the rules, <snip>

Hi Tom,
Please accept my appology if my inquiry came across as
a personal attack.  Simply chalk it up to the problems
with using e-mail for discussions.  Nothing was
further from my mind.

I took your suggestion and read the rules more
closely.  The ARRL's rules "layer" on top of each
other.  Each layer supercedes the previous where they
differ.

The "base" rules are those called "General Rules for
All ARRL Contests".

The next layer is called "General Rules for ARRL
Contests on Bands Above 50 MHz".  Where the two
differ, it is the "General Rules for ARRL Contests on
Bands Above 50 MHz" that take the stronger position.

The strongest layer consists of the rules for the
particular event.  In this case it is the "2005
September VHF QSO Party Rules".  They take the higest
position over the previous two, where they differ.

According to the "base" rules (referred to as "General
Rules for All ARRL Contests"), you accurately
reference the "family rule", 3.5.

It is only when one goes to the higher authority of
"General Rules for ARRL Contests on Bands Above 50
MHz" that one finds rules that say...

2.3.1.A rover vehicle may transport only one station
using a single call sign.

2.3.2.A rover may not operate with more than one call
sign.

... effectively superceding the family rule allowance
in the subordinate rules -- but only for
Rover-category participants.

Lastly, the highest authority is titled, "2005
September VHF QSO Party Rules" and are silent on the
topic.  That leaves the "General Rules for ARRL
Contests on Bands Above 50 MHz" as the final
authority.

Lest anyone thinks I'm anti-family...Rovers may have
up to two operators under one callsign, certainly
allowing for two-operator families to spend quality
road-time together.

One simply needs to know how important it is to use
our wife's callsign rather than our own.  We learned
that in guy-school so many years ago.  I think that
was the lesson right after the one about goofing up
the laundry enough that she finally tells us that
she'll do it from then on.  :))

Kind regards,
Ev, W2EV