[VHFcontesting] Multiple Calls,Same Rover

John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK k9jk73 at msn.com
Mon Sep 5 09:05:07 EDT 2005

All,

It is *my* understanding that a ruling or rulings HAVE been made by HQ
regarding this topic. Perhaps the "commissioner" (to use Ev's terminology)
who I believe reads and monitors this reflector (and others) can comment and
clarify for ALL of us.

I will also emphasize that I have only >heard< such rulings, not having
actually seen any direct communication from the "commisioner" or other
authority...probably legally classified as 'hearsay'...but I do understand
that contest participants ARE operating under these rule
clarifications/interpretations.

These "rulings" that I have >heard< DO permit a "family" rover BUT may
operate with a maximum of TWO calls...i.e. a family of four (husband, wife,
two children) is 'out of luck'. Somehow the "family rule" (General Rule 3.5)
overrides the Above 50 MHz Rule 2.3.1 (vehicle transports one station,
single call), but does NOT override Above 50 MHz Rule 2.3 (one or two
operators of single station).

Now, I ALSO read General Rule 3.5 regarding "Family Stations" and note the
clause in parentheses at the end "(The intent of this rule is to accommodate
family members who must share a rig and to prohibit manufactured or
artificial contacts.)"...I do wonder what the thinking is with respect to
such family rover operation...if the members of a family are simply handing
the microphone (or key?) back and forth, without doing separate tuning or
seeking of stations...that starts to sound like 'manufactured' or
'artificial' contacts but apparently NOT per the rulings and I guess I could
make an argument either way (depending on which side of the argument I was
trying to support or defend).

73, JK