[VHFcontesting] W3IY Rover SK

Ed Steeble esteeble at sc.rr.com
Tue Sep 20 09:05:37 EDT 2005

 From the PVRC reflector.
73, Ed
K3IXD

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:59:10 -0400
From: "w4rx" <w4rx at cox.net>
Subject: [PVRC] W3IY SK
To: "pvrc" <pvrc at mailman.qth.net>

W3IY, Bill Seabreeze, SK.  VHF and microwave enthusiasts lost a true friend
and supporter today when Bill Seabreeze succumbed after a long struggle
with cancer at 54.

Bill was first licensed as WN3EIY in 1965.  He quickly found his lifelong
passion of VHF and microwave radio.  Virtually every VHF operator on the
east coast knew Bill as a friend.  Throughout his life he Elmered
up-and-coming VHF operators.  His laboratory was always available to help
solve our technical problems and to get our equipment working.  His web
site http//users.adelphia.net~w3iy/ was a treasure-trove of valuable vhf
information, propagation data, and rover tips.  He was a member of the
Potomac Valley Radio Club.

Bill's pride and joy was his rover, the official Intergalactic Roving
Battle Jitney.  He never missed a VHF contest until this September, when he
was confined to bed.  He didn't enter for score, but to give out rare grids
to his friends.  He developed a circuit starting in FM15 and FM25 on the
outer banks of North Carolina, and continuing up through the eastern shore,
taking advantage of coastal tropo to give these rare grids to stations as
far up the coast as Maine.  In recent years he was joined by his friend
Christophe, ON4IY, who flew over from Belgium for each contest to rove with
Bill.  I will always remember Bill's whispering yet reliable 10-GHz signal
from the outer banks.  His perennial admonition, "don't forget to listen
for the weak ones" is known to us all.

Bill was Vice President for Engineering of Microcube Corp. in Leesburg
VA.  He is survived by his wife Kathy, his son Billy, and his daughter
Kristine.  Viewing will be at the Loudoun Funeral Home and Chapel, Catoctin
Circle, Leesburg, VA, to be followed by a brief service, date and time to
be announced.

Well, 73, Bill.  I know from now on the propagation will be a bit more
difficult.  But we will still be listening down in the noise for you, just
like you taught us.

de W4RX