[VHFcontesting] It was a short sprint for me!

Ken Alexander k.alexander at rogers.com
Tue Sep 20 12:57:00 EDT 2005

I knew I wouldn't be able to spend the whole four
hours in the 144 MHz Sprint last night, but the
weather conspired to shorten it even more!

I set up on my favourite hilltop with 50 watts and
stacked PAR OmniAngles up 12 ft and figured I'd give
myself until 9 pm...it was laundry night and I still
had a lot of work to do to prepare for my holiday
later this week.

The first hour was pretty slow, with only 2 or 3 QSOs
(where was everyone anyway, watching Survivor
Guatemala or something?), but then got busier after 8
pm.  I watched as a thunderstorm headed my way, but
figured I'd be able to stick around until 9:00 then
flash!  Immediately followed by boom! Right overhead.
Time to leave!

The highlight of the evening was working KW1AM in
FN41.  What's that, 350 to 400 miles?

The hour in the contest also taught me (again) how
much I love my OmniAngle antennas...or rather, how
much I hate jumping out of the car to swing a yagi
around.  Next contest I'll be back with a stack of 4!

73 for now,

Ken Alexander, VE3HLs
www.ve3hls.com