[VHFcontesting] Rural area Sprinting is a waste of time

Bill Olson callbill at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 5 13:42:56 EDT 2006

Hi all, I have to chime in here.. Central Maine (FN54jq) would certainly be
called a rural area, but then again we ARE on the end of that Eastern
seaboard megalopolis.. I operated the 2M sprint from Aborn Hill a few miles
from home with the "rover rig" a barefoot FT100D and 12 element beam 8 feet
off the ground. In one hour I worked 10 stations in 7 grids. Best DX was
W2KV in FN20, 400 plus miles away. Conditions seemed decent, but everyone I
worked said how BAD conditions were..

I'm pretty happy with my score.. Sure did not expect much more, and for me
just getting on, working a few of the gang, saying hi, making sure the rig
works, and being a "new grid" for a couple guys made the few hours
worthwhile. I certainly had no delusions of competing with the guys in the
metropolitan areas.. I worked a few locals that were on for the local "Pine
Tree State Weak Signal Net" at 7:30 on 144.225. They were happy to "give me
a point" and while they were not IN the contest, they certainly show
activity and just the fact that there is a 2M weak signal net in rural Maine
is a GOOD thing!!!

Regarding the so-called "decrease in VHF contest activity", I am not sure
that's true. It's certainly possible that there is more activity but just
not the logs being sent in as more "casual operators" get on with the
HF/VHF/UHF multimode rigs. Activity is activity. But I seem to remember that
even logs are actually UP in the last few VHF contests..

I suppose compared to the 50's and 60's when I first started VHF contesting,
activity is down, but I still have a lot of fun with it and am not
particularly discouraged. Deciding NOT to operate because activity in a
certain area is low is certainly one of those "self fulfilling prophecy"
things, so I guess i will keep plugging away at it..

seeyall in a week on 222.

bill, K1DY, FN54JQ 50MHz-10gHz..