[VHFcontesting] 2m Spuh-rint

aduhawk at comcast.net aduhawk at comcast.net
Wed Apr 5 16:59:10 EDT 2006

Among all of the other comments...I was pleasantly surprised by the number of people on last night who were not  part of the contest comunity and did not know about the sprint -- or even what a sprint was. There were patient explanations, and some new acquaintances made.

As a cliff dweller who is not allowed to have antennas I wait until dark, and then put the loop on top of the bird feeder.  I was able to hear and work people 150 or so miles away running 25 watts -- OK, they were doing all of the work.  I made 14 Qs in 5 grids and had the chance to hook up with the gang.

The moral of the story for me is that there are people out there, listening to the hiss from the speaker, turning the big knob in the middle every night.  I think that I will put the loop out more often.

Next week it's rover time.  Pat and I will be out, using K9ILT/R operating from the EN50/60/61/51 corner SW of Kankakee, IL.  We have been going there for years and have worked IL, IN, KY, MI, OH, WI, IA and MN from that spot.

We will be calling on 222.070, but when we want to make a contact we'll go to 222.100 were everybody will be :>).  Please tune off and look for us.  If you are FM bound, the IF radio has two VFOs, so the B VFO will put us on 223.500.  We run good power and antennas, albeit they'll be about 12' up.

See you next week with a brand new show.  73, Tim K0PG/9