[VHFcontesting] 2m Sprint Results (de KB7DQH)

Eric Smith kb7dqh at donobi.net
Wed Apr 5 23:32:10 EDT 2006

Modest stations?

Well, compared to W5UN.....

But, the 50-160Watts and single 2-3wavelength Yagi that
most people have I would consider "average".  In CN87QL I
ran a severely modified Cushcraft A147-11 (stretched boom
length to 20 feet, elements D3 to end spaced double the
stock distance, fed with a T match...) and 70 or so watts,
from a modified Mirage amp. (B1016G with driver transistor
removed, input retuned, so now 30W in!)
This is a bit more boom length than the rover and half the
power from a terrible home QTH for VHF.  Still made 19Q's
and 4 grids.  Two of the mults were from VE7DXG/Rover up on
Vancouver Island, some 130 miles distant over less than
forgiving terrain.

 The powerline noise, not normally a problem here, decided
to kick into high gear just as the tropo from down South
started to pick up. Yuck.  Missed a multiplier and at least
2 Q's due to the noise.

Eric
KB7DQH