[VHFcontesting] 2m yagi on 432

jon jones n0jk at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 13 17:46:02 EDT 2006

Regarding using a 6M antenna on 2M...

Back in November 2000 I operated 6 Meters from Guadeloupe. One evening the
TEP (trans-equatorial propagation) was very strong on 6 Meters to Brazil. I
had read TEP can sometimes be worked on 2M. I asked PY5CC to listen for me
on 144.200 MHz. Unfortunately, I did not bring along a 2M yagi. I was using
a 2 element quad on 50 MHz. I went ahead and loaded it up on 2M. Lo and
behold, I copied PY5CC solid on 2 Meters and was able to work Peter while
running about 15 watts. The distance is almost 4,900 KM.

PY5CC    144200.1 FG/N0JK     559 TEP YES          0042 27 Nov 2000

So a simple 6M antenna can work on 2M in a pinch and is capable of read DX.
I also think this 2M TEP QSO shows how strong propagation can be via this
mode and PY5CC's station and operating skill were a factor.

- Jon N0JK