[VHFcontesting] 6 meters

Eric Smith kb7dqh at donobi.net
Thu Apr 13 23:19:15 EDT 2006

Why, yes it is!  I keep the 6 meter rig in the living room,
and like  all the other ham gear...  is left turned on and
the volume up so as to just hear noise from the speaker.
It does pay off from time to time.  Even with declining
sunspot activity, the occasional aurora or Es opening will
just pop up.  The day before leaving CN87 for MUD 2005 I
worked N6RMJ, Pat Coker... on a beautiful Es opening.  Held
up well enough to get some needed information about the
event AND work a number of other SoCal stations before the
band folded up.  Lots of fun driving down and making an
"eyeball" QSL!!!
Eric
KB7DQH