[VHFcontesting] W2EV 432 Spring Sprints [was: W4SHG/R 432 Spring Sprint Totals]

Radiosporting Fan radiosporting at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 08:15:15 EDT 2006

--- Steve Gilmore <shg at staffnet.com> wrote:
> Either the conditions were quite flat or these 23x2
> elements stacked vertically are worthless.
> I suspect something not just right with the stack
> but in chatting with other contesters the band
> seemed flat and participation down a bit. It's
> really hard to tell for the abyss in the
> Stafford FM18HK HOLE. :-{

Hi Steve,
I got home with only 45 minutes remaining in the
event.  I worked only two locals and one "near local"
(thanks, Phil in FN10!).  I thought it was because I
was using my 8x 2-meter (!) KU4AB loops on 432 MHz (no
432 antennas in the air right now).  From FN03, I
heard FN20 and EN92 but couldn't complete.

What did I determine?  Participation was down.  How
did I figure this out?  Easy...I used RFSPort Logger
and an Internet connection.

During the same amount of time (the last 45 minutes of
the contest)...

W2EV with an ERP of 58 dBm scored 3Q x 3G = 9
K2AXX with an ERP of 74 dBm scored 6Q x 6G = 36

An approximate 15dB difference in ERP (and Mark's
1,000 foot altitude advantage) showed a 6dB difference
in score (and only a 3dB difference in QSO's).  Mark
is a top operator.  If folks were there, he'd have
worked them.

Check out other results at http://www.RFSport.com.

Ev, W2EV