[VHFcontesting] 432 MHz Spring Sprint

Chuck Watts, W4XP w4xp at comcast.net
Fri Apr 21 09:25:06 EDT 2006

I was only able to get on for the first 25 and last 50 minutes of the
contest.  I knew that conditions were less than abysmal when I couldn't hear
the W3CCX beacon, which under flat band conditions is about an S1 - S2.  I
heard nothing!  My assessment was further confirmed when I could hear FN10
stations working into the Northeast and W4SHG working into the south.  It
was like someone had placed a radio-wave-tight Bell jar right over me, with
a diameter of ~160 km and my station right in the middle; conditions were
awful!!!  Within the last few minutes of the Contest, W4SHG told me he was
hearing K4QI on our frequency; I could tell that there was a station there,
but that was about it!  Furthest worked to the North FN10 [thanks Phil!],
furthest to the South [West] FM08.

11 QSOs X 4 grids = 44 pts.  1 hour 15 minutes operating time

I hope conditions improve for the remaining Sprints...This Sprint was about
as much fun as calling CQ on 425 THz in a June Contest...

Chuck Watts, W4XP; FM18ew -- 1.8 Through 10368.1 MHz
Delmarva VHF and Microwave Society, K8GP
Grid Pirates Contest Group; http://k8gp.net
AO-27 Control Operators Association, N4USI; http://www.ao27.org
Potomac Valley Radio Club [PVRC]; http://www.pvrc.org
Ole Virginia Hams, W4OVH; http://www.w4ovh.org