[VHFcontesting] question about portable operator class

crawfish crawfish at surfmore.net
Sat Aug 19 16:43:59 EDT 2006

A friend of mine, W4RXR, made several contacts recently in the ARRL UHF
Contest. He took a big battery from a UPS(122 amp./hr.), an IC-402, a Mirage
100 watt amp, and a homebrew 13-el. beam at 15 feet on a nearly 1200' ASL
hill in southern TN. Worked out about 300 miles, and probably a dozen or so
contacts in less than 2 hours.I would think it would be easier on 6 or 2.The
100 watts is the key,plus location and antenna gain.Find a bald hill with no
trees!
                                                  Joe W4AAB