[VHFcontesting] K9KVN: Buffalo to FL

Jimk8mr@aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Thu Jan 12 14:31:59 EST 2006

In a message dated 1/12/06 1:41:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
msadams at buffalo.edu writes:

Good  luck on your big rove to FL and a few notes from K2QO/R here in
WNY.   The 2M calling frequency for rovers is 144.260. Keep an ear hear
to  maximize your Qs. Once you work hear, change bands and do it again.
Most action on 6 is between 50.125 and 50.200 barring an opening.   70cm
action is centered around 432.100.  On the handeld, 223.5 FM is
basically the only frequency used.

Why should a rover hang out way outside the normal activity areas ( which
here in northeast Ohio I consider to be 144.170 to .230) to maximize qsos?   It
would seem to me far better to stay as close to 144.200 as  possible.

Spending time on 144.260 may make sense for a rover who has a regular group
of guys waiting for him to be able to work him on a zillion microwave bands -
in  essence keeping repeated prearranged schedules.  For a rover with only 3
bands, I'd suggest making noise near the frequencies where people regularly
listen on six and two.  Don't bother CQing on 432. Guys will work you first  on
six or two and move you to 432 from there.

I'd think this would be especially true for K9KVN from anywhere south of
about Erie, PA. ( I assume Kevin is headed down I-79 to I-77).

73  -  Jim   K8MR