[VHFcontesting] 144.200

Jim Smith jimsmith at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 2 05:45:27 EDT 2006

Alex,

Some time ago I tried to set up an FM Simplex mini-contest for our club
members, most of whom know very little about ham radio outside the world
of repeaters and Field Day.

It piggy-backed on the ARRL VHF.  The idea was to get them on the air
for some FM Simplex fun and hope that they'd make contact with some of
the folks in the real contest.  I advertised what we were doing on the
PNWVHFS reflector to promote this possibility.  Unfortunately, I got
very little response from the club members and haven't had the time to
pursue it since.  Lots of support from the guys on the reflector, though.

The point of all this is that perhaps you could try doing the same in
your area.  I would be happy to send you (or anyone else) the stuff I
put together on this.

The Milwaukee Club (MRAC) tried a similar thing at the same time I was
doing this.  You can find the rules for their FM Simplex contest (which
are much better developed than mine) at
http://www.qsl.net/mrac/  They had several people working on this and, I
believe, had some success.

I'm sure they, like me, would be happy to answer any questions you might
have.

73, Jim	Smith VE7FO